Halachos of Tisha B'av/ Shabbos Chazon 5781 Erev shabbos in the nine days
(Based partially on Rabbi Felder Sefer) This year 5781 Tisha Bav is Motzei Shabbos and Sunday
Erev Shabbos Chazon 5780- 2021
- One may cut their Nails for Shabbos since it is not shavua shechal bo.
- One may polish their shoes only with liquid polish according to most poskim.
- One may brush a hat on erev shabbos since it is not considered washing clothes.
- Showering is a machlokes if you are allowed kol gufo, the minhag is to be meikel but to use warm water.
-Tasting food that is fleishigs, some poskim- Mekor Chayim 551:9 writes "A woman who needs to taste the Shabbos foods while cooking may do so on Friday afternoon after midday" others hold you can taste but not swallow and must spit it out. (Shmiras Shabbos Khilchasa 42:61 on Erev Shabbos during the Nine Days, you may also taste the food. However, one should try not to swallow food containing meat ingredients)
- Children may eat meat before Shabbos up to 2 hours before the zman according to Rav Moshe Feinstein in Igros Moshe, others (Eliyahu Rabba) hold they may start even from Chatzos. this year 1:02 pm
- If one makes an early Shabbos on Erev Shabbos Chazon he may eat Meat after the Plag. Lakewood Plag is 6:52 pm.
Laws of shabbos chazon Erev Tish B'Av
The Seudos of Shabbos can be eaten as on a regular Shabbos with no restraints or restrictions there is no seudas hamafsekes
-Although one normally should not study Torah on erev Tisha B'Av after Chatzos (except for Torah portions permitted on Tisha B'Av itself) when erev Tisha B'Av falls on Shabbos one should fulfill his regular Shabbos Torah study, however, it is customary not to learn Pirkei Avos after Chatzos. (Shulchan Aruch w/Mishnah Berurah 553:2)
-One is permitted to take a time release or Tzom Kal on shabbos which help them fast. Since it is not for Refuah or hachanah its only preventive medicine. However its better if one can mix it with food before shabbos and eat it in that way on Shabbos. (Rabbi Felder Shiurei Halacha)
- The usual Seudah Mafsekes is replaced with a regular shaleshudis of Shabbos at which one may eat meat and drink wine and eat any foods one desires. One may eat the meal with the family at one table, However, one should not invite guests unless one regularly has guests for Seudah Shlishis. One may conclude the meal with a Zimun as always. One must be careful to conclude the meal before sunset/Sh'kiah. (In Lakewood 8:23 pm) One should not say that one is eating to have strength for the fast. You may sing zemiros. (Shulchan Aruch w/Mishnah Berurah 552:10,Shmiras Shabbos Kehilchasa 28:77,Igros Moshe 4:112)
- If one completed the 3rd seudah before sunset (8:23 pm) and said Birchas Hamazon one may eat and drink until sunset without making any t'nai (condition). (Sha'ar Hatziyun 553:7)
- Washing hands in full can only be done until shkiah, after shkiah the laws of Tisha B'av begin and one can only wash till the knuckles. (Rabbi Felder)
One may sit on a chair until nightfall/Tzeis Hakochavim. (Shmiras Shabbos Kehilchasa 62:88)
- No preparations for Tisha B'Av may be made on Shabbos. One may not bring Tisha B'Av shoes or Kinos to shul on Shabbos even if there is an eruv. Therefore, it is advisable that one should bring these items to shul before Shabbos. (Shmiras Shabbos Kehilchasa 28:77)
- After Shabbos, we say Hamavdil Bain Kodesh L’Chol, and go to Maariv in our Shabbos clothing. After Borchu, we change to Tisha B’Av shoes. If a shul Davens Maariv before Tzais, you should not change shoes then, but wait until after Tzais to do so. The minhag is to start maariv late so you can change at home before you go to shul.
-one may sit on a chair until Tzais Hakochavim
- Because one may not prepare on Shabbos for Chol, the shoes should be placed in Shul before Shabbos. Similarly, one may not bring a Kinos to Shul before Shabbos is over.
- If possible, one should change to weekday clothing before saying Kinos.
- After Davening Motzoi Shabbos, but before Eichah, we make Baorei M’Orei Ha”Eish on a Havdalah candle, like on a regular Motzei Shabbos. Women who stay home should make the Bracha on the double candle at home. No other parts of Havdalah are performed at that time. After Tisha b’Av, Sunday night Havdalah is made on wine, without Besamim. The person making Havdalah may drink the wine himself.
- A Choleh Or kattan or a women who will not be fasting must make Havdalah on a Kos before they eat and should only make havdalah right before they are ready to eat. Since havdala is made on wine which you can not drink on Tisha Bav the poskim rule that you may make on Grape Juice and give it to a Katan to drink. If there is no Katan you may make havdala on coffee , Tea or 100% Orange juice. At last resort one may drink grape juice on their own. (Orchos Rabbeinu)
HAVDALAH on Motzei Tisha B'av
- On Motzoei Tisha B’Av Sunday night this year one makes havdala and is permissible to drink the cup of wine or grape juice. We do not make a bracha on besamim or a Ner. We only make a borei pri Hagafen and say the bracha of Hamavdil.
Corrected: (thank you to all who pointed it out)
All restrictions of the nine days continue until chatzos Monday afternoon Therefore, one may not eat meat, drink wine, wash clothes, bathe, take a haircut or shave, or listen to music until midday after Tisha Bav